Congratulations!!! This is a very exciting and beautiful time of your life!!! There is so much on your mind during pregnancy but don’t forget about your teeth and gums. All the changing hormones during pregnancy can cause and worsen dental problems. Brushing and flossing directly correlates to your overall health. If your mouth is healthy, it’s more likely that your baby’s mouth will be healthy. It’s important to continue to see us during pregnancy for oral examinations and professional teeth cleanings to make notes of any possible changes. Good daily care is vital. Always brushing your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, Floss once a day, eating a balanced diet and limiting between-meal snacks.
Helpful Tips for A Healthy Mouth During Pregnency
- Brush thoroughly with a fluoride toothpaste twice a day.
- Floss between your teeth daily.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit between meal snacks
- Visit your dentist regularly for a professional cleaning and check-up.
- Morning sickness = If you have morning sickness and are vomiting frequently, try rinsing with a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with water. If possible, AVOID tooth brushing directly after vomiting when stomach acids repeatedly come into contact with teeth. The effects of erosion can eventually cause tooth enamel to wear away.
Oral Health Concerns During Pregnency PREGNANCY GINGIVITIS
Your mouth can be affected by the hormonal changes during pregnancy. For example, a condition called “pregnancy gingivitis” is very common. It is an inflammation of the gums that can cause swelling and tenderness. Your gums also may bleed a little when you brush or floss. Left untreated, gingivitis can lead to more serious forms of gum disease.X-RAYS
It’s possible you’ll need an X-ray if you suffer a dental emergency or need a dental problem diagnosed. Although, radiation from dental X-rays is extremely low, we will cover you with a leaded apron that minimizes exposure to the abdomen. Your dental office will also cover your throat with a leaded thyroid collar to protect the thyroid from radiation.It is scientifically noted that over 90% of your baby’s oral bacteria comes from mom. Your healthy mouth means your baby’s healthier mouth. Make your appointment today!!!